David B Hayes
@davidbhayes — Writer, Developer, Entrepeneur — Fort Collins, CO
I’m a lucky man who does a lot of stuff. Quick hits:
I also write a lot. I recently published…
- An Introduction to Genesis for the Non-Genesis Developer (WPShout, Aug 4)
- Understanding PHP Output Buffering, and Why It’s Great for Shortcodes (WPShout, Jul 21)
- Doing The Work (Frozen Toothpaste, Jul 15)
- How to Add Custom Data to A WordPress RSS Feed (WPShout, Jul 6)
- A Review of John Blackbourn’s Extended CPTs Library (WPShout, Jun 24)
- Refactoring is Like Exercise (Press Up, Jun 24)
- The Case for “Hashtag Activism” (Frozen Toothpaste, Jun 15)
- WordPress’s Conditional Tags (WPShout, Jun 2)
- OPW: “Our Actions Create Our World” (Frozen Toothpaste, May 25)
- The Finer Points of “Posts” and “Pages” in a WordPress Context (WPShout, May 19)
- Making Plugins and Themes Translation-Ready (WPShout, May 12)
- You’re Either Make the World Closer to Your Ideal, or You’re Not (Frozen Toothpaste, May 11)
You Can Find Me on Social Networks
- Twitter, where I make brief aphoristic statements
- Github, where I sometimes release open-source software
- WordPress.org, where I mostly have some plugins
- MetaFilter, where I browse more than I comment
- Reddit, where I sometimes vote or comment
Projects Not Yet Mentioned
- UpAndRunningWP.com — The best possible resource for people new to WordPress development. We take that statement quite seriously.
- Quodid — Every quotation website I’ve ever come across, well, sucks for a tangle of complex reasons. So what Quodid (the name’s a linguistic joke) aspires to be is a quote website that doesn’t suck. Until that’s true, we’re kind of stuck with Wikiquote. (Which is great for depth and accuracy, but is decidedly hard to browse.)
- MarkdownToHtml.co — My go-to Markdown-converting site disappeared. I hadn’t found an adequate replacement. So I made one. It uses Commonmark.
- Require Featured Image — A WordPress plugin I wrote, does what it says on the tin without a lot of complication.
- I’m a somewhat regular speaker on PHP, WordPress, and other technology topics. Slides, etc.
- BeautyOfWhatYouLove.com — A micro-site for one of my favorite quotes.
- Link Banana — Now retired, I kept a log of all the cool things I found on the internet for nearly five years. The time commitment eventually overwhelmed my desire to keep doing it.
Some Random Facts about Me
- I think that “marshmallow” is quite possibly the best word in the entire English language. (Though I don’t much like them as a food.)
- I think my Twitter favorites are probably the best way for you to quickly understand who I am and what I value.
- I believe in the Four Noble Truths, the wisdom of compassion, and many other Buddhist things. Whether or not that means I’m a Buddhist is still an open question for me.
- I’m pretty introverted, but don’t think that’s a good excuse for failing to be nice to people. I’ve used it — and see others use it — as such a shield too much.
- I’ve long believed that fiction never got better than The Little Prince.