David B Hayes
@davidbhayes — Writer, Developer, Entrepeneur — Fort Collins, CO
I’m a lucky man who does a lot of stuff. Quick hits:
I also write a lot. I recently published…
- Spelunking into the Template Hierarchy (WPShout, Jul 26)
- Demystifying Theme “Frameworks” (WPShout, Jul 19)
- You Can’t Skip Rookie Year (Frozen Toothpaste, Jun 15)
- Flow Traps Revisited (Frozen Toothpaste, May 15)
- PHP Configuration Changes with php.ini and phpinfo() (WPShout, May 3)
- Making Custom REST Routes In WordPress 4.4 and Beyond (WPShout, Apr 19)
- It’s Not Your Fault, But it is Your Responsibility (Frozen Toothpaste, Apr 15)
- But Seriously, What is a REST API Anyway? (WPShout, Apr 5)
- Understanding PHP Globals and Variable Scope in WordPress (WPShout, Mar 22)
- Humans on Autopilot (Frozen Toothpaste, Mar 15)
- How To Stop a Post Publishing in WordPress with PHP (WPShout, Mar 8)
- How To Stop a Post Publishing (Without a Featured Image) in WordPress with jQuery (WPShout, Feb 23)
You Can Find Me on Social Networks
- Twitter, where I make brief aphoristic statements and share articles I read
- Github, where I sometimes release open-source software
- WordPress.org, where I mostly have some plugins
- MetaFilter, where I browse more than I comment
- Reddit, where I sometimes vote or comment
- Tumblr, where I infrequently add random things
Projects Not Yet Mentioned
- UpAndRunningWP.com — The best possible resource for people new to WordPress development. We take that statement quite seriously.
- MarkdownToHtml.co — My go-to Markdown-converting site disappeared. I hadn’t found an adequate replacement. So I made one. It uses Commonmark.
- Require Featured Image — A WordPress plugin I wrote, does what it says on the tin without a lot of complication.
- I’m a somewhat regular speaker on PHP, WordPress, and other technology topics. Slides, etc.
- BeautyOfWhatYouLove.com — A micro-site for one of my favorite quotes.
- Link Banana — Now basically retired, I kept a log of all the cool things I found on the internet for nearly five years. The time commitment eventually overwhelmed my desire to keep doing it.
Some Random Facts about Me
- I think that “marshmallow” is quite possibly the best word in the entire English language. (Though I don’t much like them as a food.)
- I think my Twitter favorites are probably the best way for you to quickly understand who I am and what I value.
- I believe in the Four Noble Truths, the wisdom of compassion, and many other Buddhist things. Whether or not that means I’m a Buddhist is still an open question for me.
- I’m pretty introverted, but don’t think that’s a good excuse for failing to be nice to people. I’ve used it — and see others use it — as such a shield too much.
- I’ve long believed that fiction never got better than The Little Prince.